At the Mai Dive Astrolabe Reef Resort in Fiji’s beautiful Ono Island, guests love our location in the sparkling waters of the South Pacific, and they love all the water-based adventures that go along with that. Many travelers come to us for world-class SCUBA diving and snorkeling, but we also offer fantastic fishing adventures for anglers of all ages and skill levels.
Ono Island and the Kadavu Archipelago is an incredible spot for deep-sea game fishing, sport fishing, and just light tackle. Whether you’re serious about your bobbers and lures or just curious to drop a line and see what bites, you’ll have a great time on a Kadavu fishing expedition. The surrounding sparkling ocean is stunning, the gentle breezes feel soothing on your skin, and there are many wonderful fish ready to be hooked. Here’s what you’ll find when you fish with us at Mai Dive.
Many Species in the Depths
There are lots of species of fish, both large and small, swimming in the waters surrounding the Kadavu Archipelago. What our fishing expeditions reel in varies from day to day and season to season, but here are some examples of what you might expect to catch:
- Giant Trevally GTs: These are most plentiful in the summer months, and they can be quite large. Reeling in a 100 pound GT isn’t unheard of!
- Dogtooth Tuna: You’ll find these toward the outer reefs, and some are huge — as much as 200 pounds!
- Wahoo: Lots of Wahoo are in the Fijian waters in the winter months.
- Pacific Blue Marlin: Catch this popular species all year long in Kadavu.
- Black Marlin: You don’t have to venture far from the Astrolabe reef to find Black Marlin. Be warned, though: they can be huge! Large adult Black Marlin can grow to over 1000 pounds.
- Mahi Mahi: These are most commonly found a few miles away from the reef, though some do venture closer to shore.
- Pacific Sailfish: Many of these can be found close to the island in the winter months.
- Yellowfin Tuna: This popular species can be found almost all year long in the tropical Fijian waters.
About Our Boats
As part of our efforts to ramp up our fishing expeditions, Mai Dive will take possession of two brand new fishing boats in early 2017. Guests who are serious anglers will absolutely love our new 400 horsepower, 32-foot Pro Tournament fishing boat; it has a small galley and even a cabin with a double bed. We’re also adding a 115 horsepower, 18-foot inside reef fishing runabout boat, a fun and fast sea vessel for fishing expeditions closer to shore.
Currently, our fleet includes two powered boats. One is a 40 horsepower, 23-foot banana boat, and the other is a 150 horsepower, 28-foot fish and dive boat. Or, if you’d rather paddle out for a smaller catch, we have several new fishing kayaks.
The Right Equipment
The good news is that you can come to Ono Island and the Mai Dive Astrolabe Reef Resort with no rods or reels at all and still go fishing. We have some fishing equipment for our guests to use, including popping, jigging, and trolling rigs. They’re perfect for guests who just want a taste of what fishing in Fiji is like.
However, this equipment is not likely to satisfy serious fishing enthusiasts. If you’re a seasoned angler, we encourage you to bring some of your own fishing gear so you can truly get the most out of your Kadavu Archipelago fishing adventure.
Come Fish With Us Today!
If you’re ready to take a tropical vacation that you’ll never forget, especially if you love fishing out on the big water, come stay with us at the Mai Dive Astrolabe Reef Resort. The fishing opportunities are plentiful, and with our brand new boats, we can accommodate even more guests who want to reel one in. In addition, we also have great snorkeling, fantastic SCUBA diving, and world-class relaxation on our pristine beaches.
Plus, when you pre-book your fishing trip with Mai Dive, you’ll enjoy a lower rate than guests who book last minute at the resort. Don’t let the big one get away — come fish at Mai Dive soon!